21.2.08

Rant

Imagine you are learning to become a hairdresser. Your teacher tells you that you have to have restrictions as you can't just do what you want with your clients hair, you have to cut it like they want it to be cut. So, your teacher gives you a spoon and expects you to produce a fantastic hairstyle using this non-industry standard tool. You then leave college with experience that isn't much help to your future.

Maybe its a bad example, but I feel know how that hairdresser is feeling now.

I am studying for a Graphic Design degree. It is a very enjoyable course and the work we do is normally Graphic Design orientated (if sometimes only loosely) and has a meaning. But when everybody is being forced into using a non-industry standard programme to produce a movie (not even a piece of graphic design work) I get a little frustrated. The programme? iMovie.

iMovie might be a great simplistic programme, but if I was to walk into an interview and announce I could use it, the employer would probably laugh at my naivety. The teachers' excuse for using the programme is that we, as Designers, should learn how to cope with restrictions as we cannot always produce the work we desire, but the work the client desires. I understand this, but a client wouldn't normally tell you what programme to use. Restrictions in Graphic Design normally involve costs, colours, paper, photoshoots, race, stock imagery, competition, time, format... Why not make the restrictions more realistic to prepare us for our future? Why make everyone learn and use a programme that we'll never use again in our professional lives? Graphic Designers are judged by their work. I thought this course was supposed to be training us for the future, allowing us to play and experiment while we have the chance, whilst also helping us build up an impressive portfolio and an employable attitude.

iMovie can only be used on a Mac. 80% of the students at Uni have PCs. So we cannot work on this project at home, we have to use the limited amount of Macs at Uni. The Macs at Uni are slow and have hardly any sound. When you are making a movie being able to hear is a big plus.

I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall for no reason.

But, coursework is coursework.
I just have to get on with it.

Ah... sukkiri. Thats better :)

6 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I made this using iMovie. It's pretty basic I admit xD

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgA4-78EZA

匿名 さんのコメント...

確かにiMovieはプロが使う物ではないよね。どうして先生がそんな事を言ったのか解らない。

あと、個人的に思うのが、Windowsの方が動きが良くて楽だ。去年の秋にmacbookを買った。初めてのmacだったけどガッカリ。もし、macを買うんだったらProじゃないきゃダメだと思うけど、その金額を払うならもっと速く動けて良いWindowsのマシンが買えるね。

karekora さんのコメント...

Ben
Haha, looks like you had a great time :) The movie is really good - i'm impressed at your timing skills :) Maybe you could do this project for me... hehe :)

Koji
私もWindowsのほうが使いやすくて、動き速いだと思います。しかし、何でだろうか分からないですが、デザイン産業では、みんなMACを使っていますね。T_T 残念・・
そう言っても、使わなくて、見るだけで、Macのほうがカッコいいだと思うなあ・・

匿名 さんのコメント...

M_x

Good luck. Its unfair that they make you use a programme that you cannot efficiently use at University... it makes those who already own macs have an unfair advantage...

You can borrow mine anytime. Its old but its got imovie. x

匿名 さんのコメント...

It is unfair that you can't work on it at home like the Mac users can, for sure. But I have to point out that at my last 3 jobs working for creative web agencies in London (as a project manager) the creative departments have, without exception, ran completely on Macs.

So if nothing else it'll be good for your own experience, as there's a good chance you'll end up working on one down the road.

I used my last Windows machine back in 2003. Since then I've owned only Macs. Once you get your head around the small amount of adjusting you need to do, you realise things run smoother.
Even my Dad, who has just turned 70, managed to move over to a Mac 3 or so years ago for his photography.

Good luck!

karekora さんのコメント...

M_x
:D I can borrow your mac?? :D :D You might regret saying that :) :)

Mark,
I'm not against using Macs, and I can use them, even if I'm not such a great fan, I just found it unfair that they chose a unprofessional programme that only runs on a Mac when they don't have sufficient amenities at the University for us to all use. Therefore people who own macs are laughing.

Out of the 4 design places I've worked, 3 of them all used PCs, strangely. Maybe thats why Im a tad biased... :(