14.6.12

私の母国語はカレン語ですけど。


OK. I don't know what language I speak. Its a unique language, but not a very helpful language.

A teacher asked me how to say 「この食べ物はまずいです」 in English yesterday and I paused. For a second I really didn't know. Even when I answered her, I doubted myself about whether my answer really was the most natural way of saying it.

Another teacher asked me today what "School Compliance" might mean. Again I was stumped for a second. Yes, my job is an English Teacher.

Because most of my Western friends in Kansai can speak Japanese, when we meet, we tend to speak in a random mix of Japanese and English. At the weekend I cooked dinner with my Japanese friend, and I said to her 「そのソースをSTIRして」... She understands as she speaks the same way with me. 「夏休みに帰らないの? じゃ、オリンピックはテレビでWATCHするつもりの?」 Her husband listens to our conversation at the other end of the room with a question mark above his head.



0 件のコメント: