17.1.11

避難訓練

The Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake happened on this day at 5:46am, 16 years ago. We had a lot of events at my school today in remembrance. We also had an earthquake practise and a minute silence. Out in the snow... Wow, its cold. I wonder if it was that cold 16 years ago. Although all of the children at the school are too young to have experienced this earthquake, it was moving to hear the personal stories of the teachers who were living in the area at the time. Although the particular area of Hyogo I am living wasn't badly damaged, the school I worked at today was slightly damaged. A wall in the music room caved in making some areas of the school dangerous to pass through.

I haven't experienced a single shudder since I arrived in Japan in mid-August last year. At first, it worried me. When I lived in Tokyo, I regularly felt small earthquakes. This area of Japan doesn't have many earthquakes, but when they do strike, its often quite strong. Scary stuff.

0 件のコメント: