16.11.07

Uni ウニじゃなくて・・

As some people are already aware, I'm doing a magazine about Graphic Design in Japan for one of the modules at University. Today we got our half-way point marks, and although I'm not upset by my mark, I am a little frustrated as to what I should do next.

Basically I have an idea about how I want my magazine to look. However, the teacher also (rather enthusiastically) has his own perseptions about how my magazine should look.

Should I submit myself to the teacher's ideas of how the magazine should look and behave? After all, he is the one marking the work. He is my client.

Or should I do what I believe my magazine should look and behave like, after all, it is my magazine and I wanted it to end up in my portfolio. However, if I do it the way the teacher likes, I doubt I will end up feeling proud of it as it will end up as a project "I am doing to pass" instead of a project "I can get my teeth into". I believe that if you are enthusiastic about what you are doing, it shows through in the design.

However, I need good grades this year. I dont want to sound show-offy (you know I hate that...) but I was very happy with my grades last year. Amazingly I managed to get straight A's in everything. (Something I doubt I can continue this year, unfortunately. Just my luck the first year grades count for nothing...) However, I wonder if this has clouded the teachers judgements of me. Do they 'expect' too much? Are they trying to 'push' me further? They can push me all they like, but I will only follow if it is something I believe in too. I think the teacher may also be expecting more of me because he knows that I produce 'magazines' and booklets for a living. I'm probably thinking too much. I do that.

I saw a fellow students work and grade and compaired it to my own. (I know I shouldnt do this...) But, I am a bit niggled. Her mark was 2 points below mine but she had done considerably less work. I know it is not the quantity but the quality of the work that counts, but I dont understand how she got 9 points above me for materials used when she only used one medium - photography. Is it because of the above? I dont want to be top of the class or treated any differently because of my background. Again, I'm thinking too much. I've got to stop that.

Anyway, main topic: I dont believe my ideas and direction for my magazine is wrong. I dont believe the teacher is wrong. Nothing is wrong in design (well....to a certain extent. Clip art is wrong. So are starbursts.) Its just different opinions, and I am frustrated as I dont think the way the teacher is thinking about my magazine will enhance the product the end of the day. But... I guess the teacher is my client and I have to please him, its just... I just wanted to please myself on this project too. I wanted piece of bilingual design work I can be proud of in my portfolio. But I also want a good mark...

Ah what to do.

Stop being selfish and get on with it.

3 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

カレーンすごい、ファーストクラスだったの?でも1年目ってカウントされないんだよね。。。さておき。Perhaps you can back up your idea is more suitable than his bringing in some japanese other magazine you have or whatever you think you r idea is the right one to pursue? I know you feeling. I did what I wanted to do, but at the end i think i should have listen to my tutor, but i uess i learned from it, or i started to realise what i was doing was boring, but it was a bit too late. i wanted to have a good mark, but i also didn't want to change the idea either. I think even though you decided to take his idea, the point is you were not changing it because of the grades, youdo it cos you think his idea is better?
You lived there so you know japanese style more than him though!
Wish you a good luck!!

匿名 さんのコメント...

whats more important to you? Your portfolio which potential employers WILL see, or a mark for a project employers probably will never know?

Employers only ever see the overall mark for your degree. (in my case) If you still can make the grade without this, do it for your portfolio. If this grade is vital, do it for the grade.

Good luck for the exam in December!

karekora さんのコメント...

Shuko, Lucas,
Thanks for your comments. I've decided the grade is more important at the moment (I can always remake the magazine in the style I want if I wanted to) so i'm going to try and do what the teacher wants...with a twist of me in the middle :)

well....thats the plan anyway...

this client is a tough one to please.